According to the legend, St. Kassian, the bishop of Imola and the patron saint of the diocese of Bozen-Brixen, was the first bishop of Säben (a convent near Brixen). He was martyred in 304. His festival is celebrated on the second Sunday after Eastern. The hostel for cathedral scholars who where obliged to sing in the choir was built in 1756 and was named after St. Kassian.
In 1808 the house was converted into a Royal Educational Institute by the Bavarians. From 1809 onwards the building was used as a barracks and from 1835 it was again run as a students' hostel until 1983.
In 1985, the local goverment of South Tyrol leased and renovated the building. It was then handed over to the association which has run the centre ever since.